Wednesday, July 11, 2007

NYT: Family Dinner Plans

I am not married or a mother, but I have a few older siblings with children. From them, I have learned that feeding a family is a never-ending and often thankless job. As an adult on my own, I can eat when I'm hungry and skip meals altogether. I can go out to almost any restaurant with minimal planning or eat a meal that took 4 hours to prep at 10:00 at night. The only other person I need to consider when cooking or shopping has a complex palate and a willingness to try almost anything. This is not the case for my siblings with young children. For them, serving healthy well-balanced, cost-efficient, home-cooked meals can be very challenging... and getting everyone to eat those meals is nearly impossible.

I ran across this article in the New York Times today. I thought it had some useful suggestions for parents with children. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to post an article link here, but I figured if it helped someone that was a good enough reason for me.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, you can no longer read this article for free as it is now part of the New York Times archives. You can still read the article if you pay a small fee or are a Times Select member.

    ReplyDelete