Friday, July 6, 2007

A Feast for the Fourth


On the fourth of July, Ken and his father (pictured left) made a six course birthday feast to celebrate both Ken's mother's birthday and my birthday on the 5th. They spent a lot of time planning the meal and each had their own ideas reflected in the final menu. It was a magnificent meal and a tasty treat for all of us. We spent over 4 hours savoring the food, wine, and lovely company. At the end of the meal, Ken's mother announced she had never had a better birthday and I think I might have to agree.

Below I have listed the menu and paired wines next to photographs. I will try to post about the specific dishes and how they were prepared very soon.

Moules Meuniere
served with a 2004 Quincy
(Sauvignoun Blanc)












Salad of field greens, red pepper, radish, and crispy fried pumpkinblossoms with a walnut oil, balsamic reduction vinaigrette












Seared sea scallops with sauteed green beans and shiitake mushrooms with a port shallot sauce
Served with a 2003 Auxey-Duresses (Chardonnay)












Black pepper and mustard rubbed Filet Mignon served with broccoli and roasted potatoes and a mushroom shallot sauce.
Served with a 2003 Columbia Crest Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon











Three layer red white and blue cheesecake with almond sponge cake, mascarpone cheese mousse, morello cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and chantilly cream icing

3 comments:

  1. The filet and the cheesecake look incredible,
    and I have always been a huge fan of moules
    marinieres! Thanks for posting the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness. All I can say is, Why wasn't I invited? This is Ken's cousin, Ellen, writing from New Orleans. Perhaps I wasn't invited because I was at the Strayhan family reunion in Brushy Creek that day. We have a covered dish dinner on the fourth and we do have some good cooks in our family, but I don't think anyone made moules meuniere this year! Looks and sounds like y'all have a good thing going up there. I know Ken got his love of cooking from his fantastic parents. They have taught me a great deal about loving food and loving through food and sharing it. I hope to meet you sometime, Mindy. If you and Ken ever want to come eat some gumbo, poboys, bread pudding or pralines, come on down! We'd love to welcome you. Otherwise, we may inflict a visit on you (I have three small children) in the next few years. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the positive comments!

    Ellen, I do hope you'll get a chance to join us for a meal like that someday soon. The thought of all that wonderful Southern food makes my mouth water too. Feel free to plan a visit someday. I know Ken would love to see you.

    ReplyDelete