Thursday, July 5, 2007

Camping: Carne Asada


On our first night camping, Ken made carne asada and a baby green salad with strawberries and some left over raspberry vinaigrette. Both dishes were surprisingly simple to make and tasted fantastic. I don't know why I had never thought to make a salad while camping before, but it was refreshing and the children loved the strawberries. Ken made the carne asada by marinating the beef in lime while he cut vegetables for the salsa and prepared the peppers. Once the salsa was made, he grilled the meat and peppers. Everyone assembled their own tortillas with the meat, peppers, salsa, and cilantro. We ate standing around the picnic table in a silence that was disrupted only by chewing and compliments for the chef. The food disappeared with remarkable speed.

4 comments:

  1. Yum on the carne asada!
    But where's the description
    of the of the big July 4 meal? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this also sounds great! What a chef. Would you come to Pelican and cook for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you guys are enjoying the food and pictures. I'll certainly try to get a trip up North organized soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking back at this post and realized that two of the pictures no longer appear. I imagine this is a result of updating the interface. I will try to track the pictures down and repost. In the meantime, sorry.

    ReplyDelete