Saturday, September 8, 2007

Tamarillos: The tomato fruit?

Ken spotted an unusual looking fruit as we wandered through the grocery store last weekend. Always willing to try something new, we purchased the fruit and brought it home to try. It was a tamarillo.

The fruit was described to us as tomato-like so we decided to first try it raw. It was unlike anything I'd ever had before. The first bite tasted a bit like a peach with a plum's texture. As I started to chew, the flavor morphed into a distinctively tomato-like flavor. The effect was not altogether pleasant but that may just be because it was so unique.

I think that we're both interested in experimenting with this fruit again. I've looked up a few recipes but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I'll certainly write a post if we come up with any tasty tamarillo creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment